Sometimes, we may find that the effects of cannabis in our bodies and brains vary, and we don’t know why. The reason is simpler than we think, though. Cannabis is not just one. Like most of the plants on earth, it comes in many different varieties, each of which presents unique structures, flavors and smells. The effect on our bodies will highly depend on which variety we consume. There’s an interesting comparison between the three most common types of cannabis being commercialized worldwide nowadays: cannabis Sativa vs. Indica vs. Hybrids. This comparison can not only help us understand the effects of each strain, but also select the one that is perfect for us.
Cannabis Sativa vs. Indica vs. Hybrids
Let’s analyze the main features of each variety, considering their structure, best environment for cultivation, smell and flavors, and effects. Let’s also check some examples of each type of cannabis, so that we can better pick the best for us.
- Structure: The pure Sativa strains are easy to identify because, unlike the Indica variety, the cannabis sativa is a tall and thin plant, with narrow, light-green leaves.
- Growth: It grows better in an outdoor environment, as it can get a height of up to 6 meters. Its flowering process can last between 10-16 weeks. The sativa strain grows in tropical environments like Cambodia, Thailand, China, India, Mexico, and Colombia.
- Smell and flavor: The sativa variety offers tropical smells and flavors, like those of melon, pineapple, grapefruit, and other sweet, flower or earthy scents.
- Effects: When we compare Sativa vs. Indica vs. Hybrids, the sativa variety is the one whose effect is invigorating and stimulating. It can also enhance your creativity and make you laugh uncontrollably or engage in a deep conversation. It is the ideal cannabis variety to enjoy before a social event, to fight attention deficit disorders, and depression.
- Sample Strains: Amnesia Haze, Green Crack, Sour Diesel
- Structure: A pure Indica strain is short in stature, with broad, dark-green leaves.
- Growth: The Indica variety is suitable for indoor growing as it tends to reach a maximum of 3 meters tall. Its flowering process ranges between 7-9 weeks. This cannabis variety comes from Pakistan, Afghanistan, Uzbekistan, and other colder areas in the Middle East.
- Smell and flavor: They can smell and taste like pine, earth and moss. Their scent tends to be spicy.
- Effects: The Indica strain provides a sedating, “couch-locked” effect. It helps to relieve physical pain, stress, anxiety and insomnia. It is the perfect cannabis variety to enjoy after a stressful day.
- Sample Strains: Ayahuasca Purple,Bubba Kush, Dutch Kush
If we compare Sativa vs. Indica vs Hybrids, we’ll find that the structure, taste and smell, as well as the effects of a hybrid strain may be more similar to either the Sativa or the Indica strains. This is so, because hybrids derive from the combination of Sativa and Indica strains, but depending on the prevailing genes, it may be taller or shorter, more invigorating or relaxing.
- The Indica – Sativa hybrid is generally relaxing, yet keeping the brain active. It provides body-pain relief and is useful to fight insomnia and depression.
- The Sativa-Indica hybrid offers a mild Sativa psychoactive effect and then derives into relaxation. It helps relax the mind and the body at the same time.
This information about Sativa vs. Indica vs. Hybrids is very helpful for those consumers who are looking for the best strain according to their personality, preferences, and needs.